H.I.I.T. (High-Intensity Interval Training) is a super effective way to burn fat while maintaining lean muscle.
Typically a HIIT workout (which can be as short and efficient as 4 minutes – think Tabatas or as long and painful as 60 lol) pairs an intense work period (from 5 seconds to 8 minutes long) performed at 80-95% of your estimated maximal heart rate, with a recovery period that may be equally long but not exceed 40-50% of your maximal heart rate.
Some of the benefits of HIIT include:
- improving aerobic and anaerobic fitness
- strengthening the cardiovascular system
- improving insulin sensitivity (which helps the exercising muscles more readily use glucose for fuel to make energy)
- challenging the fast-twitch muscle fibers (the ones that are awesome for strength, power and looking lean and mean)
- reducing abdominal fat and body weight while maintaining muscle mass
making you more badass
Here is a link to HIIT workouts on my blog!